2013 SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS
CHARITY FOOTBALL EVENT
SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS
Founded in 1934 by future Baltimore mayor, Theodore R. McKeldin, Santa Claus Anonymous is a unique volunteer non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization. Each year, keenly aware of the thousands of children in the Baltimore metropolitan area who go without presents at holiday time, we raise money to give every child a Christmas and there are many children to help. In 1934, we raised $800 for Christmas distribution. This year, our goal is close to $300,000. The way that we will reach that goal is with dedication, cooperation and a belief in the spirit of Christmas.
MIKE WOODARD EDUCATION FUND
Mike Woodard was out for a jog on Super Bowl Sunday when he died suddenly from an apparent heart attack. Mike was just 49 years old and is survived by his wife and four children. His four children will be the recipients of the proceeds of this event. A college fund was set up in the name of his four children, in honor of their father by the BSSC.
Mike had nearly 30 years of Park/Recs service and was slated to retire at the end of 2007.
If you have enjoyed Volleyball, Dodgeball, Wiffleball, Park/Recs indoor soccer or have signed up for anything at Du Burns, Mike Woodard made it happen. Mike was the facility manager for the Du Burns Arena for years until the city moved him to a position at the Myers Pavilion in January. He would juggle the Du Burns schedule to make sure that the BSSC had enough time slots to accommodate our teams, meetings and sign ups. At the same time, he would also make sure that the other leagues who used Du Burns were taken care of.
Mike was one of a select few in 1998 who understood and embraced the crazy concept of an organization that played sports, and then went out for a few "cold ones". It is because of the efforts of Mike Woodard and Bob Wall (Patterson Park), that the BSSC is what it is today.
We have lost a major supporter of the BSSC who never hesitated to "go to bat" for us. Mike and his wife Patty would come to our happy hours, Preakness infield parties, charity events and baseball games because he said "BSSC members just know how to have fun". He truly loved the concept of the BSSC. Mike went from a person that I did business with, to a very close personal friend. Everyone I talked to at his service, described Mike Woodard as " a good guy and a great friend". I have to add that Mike genuinely cared about everyone around him.
I hope you will join me to celebrate a great friend of the BSSC and help his children fulfill their goal of a college education.
OFFICIAL BSSC SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS SPONSORS
We invite and encourage you to join your fellow BSSC members at our official sponsor bars after each game. Miller Lite and the official sponsor bars help to keep the cost of the BSSC affordable for everyone. The bars sponsor the BSSC because of the large economic impact we have on their business. The sponsor bars are where we all go to grab a cold Miller Lite, meet old friends and make new ones. Other bars in the area did not contribute to become an official sponsor bar of the BSSC. Out of respect to the businesses that keep your fees affordable, please patronize those sponsor bars that are supporting you and the BSSC.
If there is a problem that needs to be addressed at our bar sponsors, please contact the BSSC and we will contact the owners directly to resolve the issue.
The BSSC only allows teams to collect funds from businesses that do not conflict with our partners or official bar sponsors of the BSSC. The BSSC will not accept funds from companies that are in direct competition with our official sponsors or partners. Teams that accepted a sponsorship from a bar/restaurant conflicting with our sponsors will NOT be allowed to participate in any postseason games and will NOT be asked to come back to the league the following year.
Thanks in advance for your loyalty to our sponsors.
2013 BSSC SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS INFORMATION
SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS DATE
Friday, December 6th & Saturday December 7th
Friday, December 6th (6:00 pm - 10:00 pm)
Saturday, December 7th (10:00 am - 4:00 pm)
Friday, December 6th (Patterson Park - Field 5 and UTZ)
Saturday, December 7th (Patterson Park, PHS & LK Fields
*** Teams may request to play both games on one day or split between the two. The BSSC will strive to accomodate all requests. ***
ALCOHOL/SMOKING IS PROHIBITED FOR ALL GAMES PLAYED ON FRIDAY
NIGHT ON UTZ FIELD BECAUSE OF THE NEW TURF SURFACE
EVENT FORMAT & RULES
For the Santa Claus Anonymous Tournament, the BSSC will institute an event format instead of a tournament format. This event format allows players to be less competitive as they realize that they are going to play a few coed football games, drink a few beers and meet a few new people. All this, while helping out a needy child for Christmas; what a deal!
BSSC football rules can be found on the website.
SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS RAIN OUT MAKE UP DATES
Friday, December 13th and Saturday, December 14th
If the charity event is canceled because of weather or field conditions, the BSSC will make every effort to reschedule. The rain out date will be the next available date on the calendar. (See above for rainout dates). Once a team or individual has been registered for this event, no refunds will be given if the games are rescheduled. If the BSSC is unable to reschedule the event (since this is a charity event) we would hope players would donate their fee as a charitable contribution. If you choose not to make a charitable contribution, please contact the BSSC for refund details.
DIVISIONS AVAILABLE FOR SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS CHARITY FOOTBALL EVENT
- Extreme Social: Teams/individuals that have intermediate athletic skills and love to socialize.
- Super Extreme Social: Teams/individuals that have basic athletic skills and love to socialize.
$35 for each player on your team. Each player will receive a long sleeve event tee shirt (White or Green), 2 refereed football games and Miller Lite specials at our sponsor bars. Make all checks payable to: BSSC, INC ESCROW
LIGHTNING DURING GAMES
BSSC staff will inform members of lightning in the area and players MUST leave the outdoor venue immediately to avoid a game suspension or team loss.
The National Athletic Trainers' Association recommends a proactive approach to lightning safety. Further components of this policy are monitoring local weather forecasts, designating a weather watcher, and establishing a chain of command. Additionally, a flash-to-bang count of 30 seconds or less should be used as a minimal determinant of when to suspend activities. Waiting 30 minutes or longer after the last flash of lightning or sound of thunder is recommended before athletic or recreational activities are resumed. Lightning safety strategies include avoiding shelter under trees, avoiding open fields and spaces, and suspending the use of land-line telephones during thunderstorms.
The BSSC is the ONLY sports & social club in MARYLAND to have an affiliation with MedStar SportsHealth.
What is MedStar SportsHealth and how can it help you as a member of the BSSC?
- Although ALL BSSC sports are non-contact, as with all physical activities, people may occasionally sustain an injury. Should this occur, the BSSC has an agreement with MedStar Sports Health to provide prompt medical care (for its members) at any one of the four Baltimore are MedStar Hospitals. These hospitals include Franklin Square, Good Samaritan, Harbor and Union Memorial.
- Should an injury occur, you will receive a MedStar SportsHealth identification card provided by a BSSC Staff member.
- MedStar SportsHealth is NOT an insurance company so it will not pay for any medical claims. Simply present your MSSH ID card to the Emergency Room registrar (or tell the registration staff person you are a member of the BSSC) and their staff of sports medicine specialists will help to get you back in the game again!
- Your affiliation with the BSSC helps to get you "fast tracked" through the Emergency Department ONLY at the above participating MedStar hospitals.
- This ID card does NOT provide insurance coverage nor will BSSC be liable for any medical expenses.
- If you waived medical attention at the field but later you feel the need to be seen by a professional, please contact the BSSC so they may refer you to the MedStar SportsHealth, or if you have a question regarding the services provided to BSSC members by MedStar SportsHealth, call Jen Pritchett, 410-772-6516, during regular business hours.
BSSC MEMBER COMMENTS
......Hi Mike, Thanks for checking in - I'm all set! I lucked out - it was just a dislocation so I should be good in 1-2 weeks vs. 6 - so happy! Your BSSC staff was great - couldn't have asked for better and when we got to Union Memorial, they already knew I was coming and we only waited a couple of minutes before we were brought right back. We were in and out (x-rays, re-setting and all) in under 2 hours. Can't really beat that for an ER visit! Thanks again for checking in - I should be back on the field in a couple of weeks.
:) Thanks! -Andrea
......Good Morning Mike, I am just following up with you about my torn ACL. I had the surgery to repair my ACL on July 11th, so today is exactly 3 weeks out. I am up walking and my rehab is progressing faster than my therapist has ever seen, I am able to balance myself completely on the repaired knee, I have full mobility back and my strength is coming back. I have to thank you for referring me to Med Star, Dr. Tepper was able to get me in right away knowing that I am a competitive bodybuilder and perform the operation shortly after my first visit. As with any operation, the recovery has a lot to do with the Dr. and how they perform the actual operation, and Dr. Tepper did a fantastic job. This is my 3rd ACL reconstruction (first time on my right leg) and I feel this is going a lot better than the previous 2. I truly appreciate you reaching out to them on my behalf and getting the ball rolling. For that I am forever grateful.
Thanks Mike! - Chris
SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS SIGN UPS
(Coaches & Individuals)
ALL SIGN UPS AND MEETING LOCATIONS
- All coaches meetings and team/individual signups will be held at DuBurns Arena (unless otherwise noted) MAP CLICK HERE
- DuBurns is located on the corner of Boston and Elwood Streets in Canton. Their phone number is 410-396-4202 for additional directions only.
- DuBurns is not affiliated with the BSSC and will not have general information about the club.
ALL COACHES SIGN UP DATES
Date: Wednesday, November 13th
Time: 6-8 pm
Location: DuBurns Arena
- Signups do not follow a first come/first serve format. For your convenience you may sign up on the date(s) listed above.
- This sign up is for all coaches that would like to put a team in the above charity event.
- Coaches must bring a $50 deposit to sign ups to hold their teams spot in this event.
SIGNING UP AS AN INDIVIDUAL FOR BSSC SANTA CLAUS ANONYMOUS CHARITY FOOTBALL EVENT
Registration Fee: $35
When you sign up as an individual, you will be placed on either:
1) A current team looking for players or
2) A team made up of all individuals
· IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING PLAYING ON AN ALREADY ESTABLISHED TEAM, DO NOT SIGN UP. YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE COACH OF THAT TEAM.
· ALL INDIVIDUAL TEAMS WILL NEED A COACH.
· Your name will not be added to the individual list until the registration fee is paid.
· You must choose the division to play which best fits your athletic ability.
EXTREME SOCIAL: Teams/individuals that have intermediate athletic skills and love to socialize.
SUPER EXTREME SOCIAL: Teams/individuals that have basic athletic skills and love to socialize.
SIGN UP AND PAY YOUR REGISTRATION FEE IN PERSON
Date: Wednesday, November 13th
Time: 6 – 8:00 PM
Location: DuBurns Arena
1) Come to DuBurns Arena on the dates listed above and sign up with a BSSC staff member.
a. Payment Options:
iii. Check (If you are writing a check, be sure your address is current. If not, make the sign up staff aware of your current address).
2) Once you pay your registration fee at Sign Ups the BSSC can begin the process of finding a team for you to play on for the upcoming season.
a. If you are signing up with another person and would like to be placed on the same team, make the sign up staff aware of your request. The BSSC will do everything possible to comply to the same team requests.
b. You may also sign up individuals who are not present but would like to play in the SANTA CLAUS ANONYOUS CHARITY EVENT. If you are signing up yourself (or another individual) have the following information with you:
3. Home Address
4. Contact Number
5. Email Address
7. Tee Shirt Size (S-5XL)
HOW DO I KNOW IF I WAS PLACED ON A TEAM?
One week after registration, go to the corresponding division link in which you have signed up (BELOW). Your status will be next to your name:
1) ASSIGNED (The assigned coach will be displayed next to your name, welcome to the league)
2) PENDING (We are still trying to find a team for you to play on)
3) REFUND SENT (We were unable to find you a team to play on and your refund has been sent)
EXTREME SOCIAL is for individuals that have intermediate athletic skills and love to socialize CLICK HERE
SUPER EXTREME SOCIAL is for individuals that have basic athletic skills and love to socialize CLICK HERE
The number of individuals needed and/or number of individual teams formed will be determined after the coaches meeting. It usually takes 2 weeks after the coaches meeting to formulate the teams.
- You will hear from the BSSC in this time frame regarding your status.
- If we are unable to place you on a team requesting individuals or a team assembled of all individuals, your registration fee will be refunded.
- The refund process takes approximately 2-3 weeks to complete. If you paid in cash, a BSSC check will be refunded to you.
BACK TO TOP